Occasionally referred to as a cap, a dental crown may be utilized to treat a significant cavity, protect a fragile tooth, rescue a damaged tooth, or disguise a discolored tooth. Designed to be positioned over the appropriate tooth and custom colored to blend with the adjacent teeth for a consistent look, a dental crown preserves and reinstates functionality to weakened teeth. The dental professionals of DentalWorks - Forest Park offer a variety of different techniques for crowns to better care for the concerns of individuals in Forest Park, IL.
Throughout your consultation with a highly trained staff member of the DentalWorks - Forest Park team, we will talk about the different crown options with you in order to choose the best material that meets your dental concerns, aesthetic objectives, and finances. When you want to discover more concerning the various kinds of crowns and by what means they can restore your smile, then read below for further detailed information.
THE BEST CANDIDATES TO RECEIVE A DENTAL CROWN:
One of our dental professionals might offer a dental crown as a solution for numerous reasons, such as:
- For protection of a weak, decaying tooth as a way to lessen future dental concerns
- As a support structure for loose or worn teeth
- Used aesthetically to disguise discolored or misshapen teeth
- In order to function as a foundation to hold dental bridges in place
- To recover a tooth’s purpose and aesthetics following a root canal treatment
- To cover a broken tooth, defending it from exposed nerves, which may result in extreme sensitivity and irritation
- When an area of decay is too big to be restored with a standard filling
CATEGORIES OF DENTAL CROWNS
Based on an individual's goals, tooth placement, and desires, crowns are created from multiple materials. While a number of crowns could last for around 15 years, some are merely a short-lived fix.
- Temporary: This type of crown is made with acrylic or stainless steel and is usually produced in the dentist’s facility for quicker treatment, as opposed to a permanent crown prepared off-site.
- Metal: This type of crown is normally made from stainless steel or various other metals that are personalized for the patient's required needs.
- Ceramic or Porcelain: Considered the best aesthetic option, this dental crown has a color-match unsurpassed by any other substance. Ceramic or porcelain crowns are typically used on the front teeth and modeled after the shape, color, and size of the individual's natural teeth. This material is also suitable for those withwho suffer from] allergic reactions to metal.
- Porcelain over Metal: This crown is ideal for protecting forward or back teeth and enhances the strength of metal to a dental bridge. The porcelain enables the dental professional to custom match the existing enamel of neighboring teeth for a seamless look.
HOW IT WORKS
The initial step for men and women in Forest Park, IL to receive a dental crown is to discuss with a dentist at DentalWorks - Forest Park during a consultation. During this appointment, impressions of your teeth will be obtained, which ensures the custom fit of your restoration. At the time when your crown is complete, the treatment area will be effectively numbed using a local anesthetic before the existing tooth can be prepared to assure the crown’s fit. Additional impressions are required to evaluate the proper fit and bite prior to it being cemented of the crown onto the natural tooth or fixed to a dental implant. The correct configuration of your new crown ensures long-lasting durability. The entire treatment may take several weeks to complete because crowns are sent to a lab for customization. When needed, a temporary crown may be recommended.
When the local anesthesia has subsided, normal daily tasks may be resumed. The dental team at DentalWorks - Forest Park may give appropriate post-care instructions that are crucial to follow for an optimal recovery and restoration. We will discuss with you the ideal method to tend to your crown, including certain foods to stay away from. For individuals who grind their teeth or clench their jaws, a night guard can be recommended to preserve your crown. It is best to continue your annual dental exams at DentalWorks - Forest Park to ensure good oral health. Routine daily brushing and flossing may help to inhibit decay or periodontal disease and the need for further crowns later on.
Devoted to your optimal oral health, DentalWorks - Forest Park provides treatments for men and women in Forest Park, IL using the latest dental procedures, including dental crowns. Patients who require a crown can rest assured knowing they have options that fit their cosmetic concerns and budget. If you are thinking about receiving a dental crown and want to hear more regarding this specialized procedure, we invite you to call or arrange an appointment with DentalWorks - Forest Park today.